According to statistics, you may have less than 3 minutes to get out of your home in the event of a fire.
With that incredibly short amount of time to get to safety, make sure everyone in your home knows what to do if there is a fire. Here is a home emergency checklist:
- Smoke alarms should be on every level of the home.
- Smoke alarms should be inside and outside sleeping areas.
- Smoke alarms should be tested each month.
- Smoke alarm batteries should be changed as needed.
- Smoke alarms should be less than 10 years old.
- Test your alarm regularly. Your smoke alarm is working if it makes a noise when you press the “test” button.
- The cooking area should have no items that can burn.
- Always stay in the kitchen when cooking, frying, grilling, boiling, or broiling food.
- Pot handles are always turned toward the back of the stove to prevent accidental spills.
Electrical and Appliance Safety
- All electrical cords should be in good condition and not broken or cut.
- Be sure to clean out dryer lint after every use.
- All plug outlets should be safe and not feel warm when touched. If they are warm, unplug and call an electrician.
- Candles should be in sturdy fire-proof containers that won’t be tipped over.
- Always blow out candles when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Candles should be kept out of reach from children and pets.
- Remember that children are sometimes curious about fire. If you have children in your home, lock up any items that can start a fire (matches, lighters, cigarettes, etc.) and make sure children cannot reach candles.
Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Carbon monoxide alarms should be located on each level of the home.
- Carbon monoxide alarms should be less than 7 years old.
- It’s extremely important to have a fire escape plan that shows 2 ways out of every room.
- Everyone needs to know where the safe meeting place is outside the home.
- Everyone living in the house should practice the escape plan at least 2 times a year.
Life is precious. Often it only takes some common sense and a little bit of dedicated time to ensure the safety of all your loved ones and home. We at Eastern want you and yours to be around for a long time to come!